Friday, February 10, 2012

Bastard Priest - Ghouls of the Endless Night

Bastard Priest
Ghouls of the Endless Night
2011 Blood Harvest Records
Dammit. The debut album, "Under the Hammer of Destruction" from Bastard Priest, ripped my face clean off when I first heard it.I've only just now healed from that, and the scars from the plastic surgery were starting to fade. So here comes "Ghouls of the Endless Night," and I'm back to square one with no face. These guys really took things to the next level on this album. Their mix of old school Swedish death metal and crust was dirty and filthy to begin with, but this... this is even dirtier and filthier. I have no idea what kind of equipment the band uses, and I don't know where this was recorded, but it has a real DIY feeling to it. It's like the instruments they're playing were borrowed and beat to shit, the amps and speakers had blown out a few times, and they did the recording in someone's garage. In other words, it has the feeling of real death metal, played with passion and a love for the music instead of worrying about crap like their "marketing demographic" or similar nonsense. This is real brutality (not brootality), and this is the way it should be done. Ugly music can be so beautiful, and here's a prime example. Only question I have is whether I should bother to get my face sewn back on, since I'm sure the next album will rip it right off again. If I'm lucky, that is. I've got a feeling that next time I'll be splattered all over the ceiling.

1 comment: